Sunday, October 22, 2006

My Grandfather Died This Weekend....

I am okay with it. I had five weeks to really let it sink in. He'd been in a coma. How many people can say that they lived to be 91. Better yet, how many people can say they lived by themselves sick-free until they were 90. Not a whole lot. He's with Nana, and they're probably smiling down on us now.

Good bye and thank you for being the best grandfather a girl could want.

Thanks for the many stories of "the way it was."
Thanks for the many unsolicited lessons on dignity, faith, and self-reliance.
Thanks for loving me unconditionally and believing in me.
Thanks for waiting for me on my "late work nights". If everyone else was sleep, I knew you'd be there, sitting in the door, waiting for me to pull my car to the curb.

There are so many things, but I'm pretty sure he knows what he meant to me. May you rest in peace.

(JCM 1915-2006)

1 comment:

stephenomenal said...

im sorry El.....