Monday, August 28, 2006

Temporary Gifts

I love old movies. I could spend an entire weekend watching Turner Classic Movies. I used to watch AMC religiously as a child. My brother and sister would make fun of me b/c I'd rather watch "It Happened One Night..." than "New Jack City." To be honest, that's still a movie I have yet to see. Sue me.

I was watching "Zigfield Girl" with Jimmy Stewart, Judy Garland, Lana Turner and Heddy Lamour. It was a good drama. I don't really do the musicals (okay I do the Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, and West Side Story but that's IT!!).I thought it would be a really silly musical and there's nothing worse than a black and white musical. The movie was good, but I couldn't help looking at the young pretty Lana Turner and comparing it to the "old" Lana Turner. It reminded me of the "temporary gifts" my aunt is always shoving down the younger generation's. At our recent family reunion we had postboard pictures of our family from the early 1900- to the present. My aunt kept going on and on about beauty being a temporary gift from God. She constantly referred to Aunt's _____ beauty, or Aunt____ used to be so pretty. Look at them now. "It's a temporary gift from God," she said and pointed to the various women in the room. "Everyone used to have it, so you better enjoy it while you can."

How much time do I have left???

1 comment:

Harmlessash said...

when I was little I remember watching Cary Grant movies almost everyday on the "old movie channels."